On Monday, 30 July 2012 The Jane Goodall Institute South Africa will depart on a Rescue Mission to Equatorial Guinea to fetch a baby Chimpanzee tragically orphaned by the illegal Bushmeat Trade.
Even though there is not much time to gather all that is needed for this very urgent mission, this cannot be delayed, as:
- there were at first 2 baby orphans and one had already died
- their contact person, who is looking after this little one, is leaving the area a week later
- the country is very unstable and access is becoming more and more dangerous.
This female infant, estimated at 12 months, will be brought to South Africa and given a safe refuge at The Jane Goodall Institute South Africa Chimpanzee Eden Sanctuary near Mbombela (Nelspruit) in Mpumalanga.
The Jane Goodall Institute South Africa Mission Team will consist of David Devo Oosthuizen (Executive Director), Marc Crone (Assistant Sanctuary Manager) and Dr. Stephen van der Spuy (Veterinarian).
David, one of the Green Times our contributors, will be sending us regular updates and footage on this mission. We are imploring our community to please help make this possible.
The following materials are urgently needed on loan or perhaps gifted:
- Help to fast track Police Clearance (presently pending)
- 2 x Satellite Phones with Service
- 1 x Extreme Outdoor Notebook (something like a Mecer ToughBook or DuraBook)
- 2 x Transcend Military Standard Drop Tested External Drives
- 3 x USB Flash Drives
- 1 x Garmin GPS (Drive & Walk Model with West Africa Maps of Kenya, Cameroon and Equatorial Guinea)
- 1 x Mobile Phone and SIM / Airtime / Roaming Opened (For Mission Duration of 2 Weeks)
- 1 x Vodacom SIM with Service / Prepaid 3G Data (For Mission Duration of 2 Weeks)
- Portable Scanner
- Portable Printer
- First Aid Kit
- 2 x Pelican Cases
- 2 x Leatherman Utility Knifes
- 1 x Emergency Kit
- 1 x Video Camera with External Microphone (to film the Rescue Mission)
- 1 x Compact Camera
- 1 x Solar Powered Multi-Purpose Battery Charger
- Plane Ticket Cost Sponsor for 3 JGI SA Mission Members from South Africa to Equatorial Guinea and back
- DHL Currier Service Cost Sponsor (to get blood samples to Holland fro Equatorial Guinea for the Blood certificate Clearance)
- Visa Cost Sponsor for 3 JGI SA Mission Members from South Africa to Equatorial Guinea and back
- Travel Agent Expertise / Assistance
- International SOS Registration Cost Sponsorship
- General Mission Donor Funds (onsite travel and accommodation and food costs)
You could also help with monetary donations.
1. Electronic Funds Transfer Donations:
- Jane Goodall Institute South Africa
- Banking Institute: Nedbank
- Branch name: Hyde Park
- Branch Code: 19 72 05
- Account Type: Current
- Bank Account No: 1972082264
- Swift code: NEDSZAJJ
2. SMS Donations:
- Simply SMS (Mobile Text Message) the keyword JGI to 38270 (R10 per SMS) and your contribution will help The Jane Goodall Institute South Africa make a difference.
- SMS Donations only available in South Africa for MTN, Vodacom and Cell C
- NXT Digital Innovation is proud to power The Jane Goodall Institute South Africa with an Interactive SMS Platform called “Media Deck”. For more information visit www.nxt.co.za.
David Devo Oosthuizen
The Jane Goodall Institute South Africa
+27 (0) 83 230 5247
The Jane Goodall Institute of SA
Founded by Dame Dr. Jane Goodall (renowned primatologist and UN Messenger of Peace), the Jane Goodall Institute South Africa is part of the global JGI family. Here in South Africa we have an amazing Chimpanzee Sanctuary in Nelspruit (Chimpanzee Eden), where we currently care for 33 rescued chimpanzees. Our work builds on the scientific research and her humanitarian vision, which include Community Education Programmes via Jane Goodall’s Roots & Shoots.