A range of high-profile church and community leaders have issued a petition calling for humanitarian support to families in the platinum belt.
“There is a humanitarian tragedy unfolding on the platinum belt. While supporting current attempts to reach a settlement to the dispute, the reality on the ground is that children, women and men do not have food, and hardship will persist after the strike is settled,” state the signatories.
“We cannot allow a situation in which people are starving. No society can tolerate such inhumanity in its midst. It is especially unacceptable 20 years into our democracy. As a gesture of humanity, we call on all South Africans to assist in stopping the starvation among our poor communities affected by the strike.
We appeal to citizens of South Africa to make small and big gestures in support of children, women and men who are affected. In particular, we appeal to South Africans to donate food.”
- The Most Reverend Dr Thabo Makgoba, Archbishop of Cape Town
- Bishop Ziphozihle Siwa, Presiding Bishop of the Methodist Church of Southern Africa, President of the South African Council of Churches
- The Right Reverend Dr Johannes Seoka, Bishop of Anglican Diocese of Pretoria, and past president of the South African Council of Churches
- Reverend Moss Nthla, Evangelical Alliance of South Africa
- Bishop Molefe Ditlhale, Bishop of the Western Diocese of the Evangelical Lutheran Church
- Bishop Lunga kaSiboto, Presiding Bishop of the Ethiopian Episcopal Church
- Professor Adam Habib, Vice-Chancellor, University of the Witwatersrand
- Professor Ihron Rensburg, Vice-Chancellor, University of Johannesburg
Food parcels can be donated at:
- Gift of the Givers (call toll-free 0800 786911 for details)
- SkyNet courier branches anywhere in South Africa
- All campuses of the Universities of Johannesburg and the Witwatersrand
- Khotso House, 62 Marshall Street, Johannesburg
- St George’s Cathedral and Anglican Church Warehouse, 12 Plantation Road, Wetton, Cape Town
- Alternative Information and Development Centre, 129 Rochester Road, Observatory, Cape Town
- St Albans Anglican Cathedral, Frances Baard Road, Pretoria
Bank account details for donations:
Account name: Gift of the Givers Foundation
Account number: 052137228
Bank: Standard Bank
Branch: Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Branch code: 057525
Swift code: SBZAZAJJ
Ref: Platinum Strikers
Donate online here.
The Most Reverend Dr Thabo Makgoba, Archbishop of Cape Town. Source: West Cape News