The time has come to kick off South Africa’s first solar co-operative in style.. and everyone is invited!
The Sun Exchange is a new social enterprise in Cape Town, which aims to deliver renewable energy through community crowd-lending.
They are pioneering this disruptive economic model because:
- It provides clean, reliable and low price electricity to schools and other organisations that would otherwise be unable to afford solar panel systems;
- It provides an opportunity for communities to come together and actively participate and share ownership of their own renewable energy power stations;
- By not relying upon government incentives or aid money, it creates a truly sustainable financing mechanism that can be used throughout Africa.
They are developing a 10kW solar PV plant to power the Stellenbosch Waldorf School and are opening up the project to be funded by the teachers at the school, the parents of the pupils and even the children themselves, so that they will collectively profit from the solar electricity the system generates. The most important aspect of this particular project is the educational benefits; it demonstrates to the next generation that solar power works, and, through their financial participation demonstrates the importance of saving money and the value of electricity.
This is a celebration of revolutionary technology and community power in action. Live music, film, dance, learning, sunset cinema, delicious & healthy food… you like it, we got it!
- Caroline Blundelll
- Duo Morphire (fire performance)
- Roger Lucey
- Acrobatic Duet
- Greenpop (tree planting, solar cookers)
- iShack (sustainable solar powered housing)
- Khaya Power (sustainable cooking and energy technology)
- Thisa Boxes (low-cost solar hot water)
- Bitcoin Academy (Cape Town’s Bitcoin learning and training centre)
- Bithub (Cape Town-based Bitcoin innovation lab)
- Soil for Life
For the kids and young at heart:
- Angels & Demons (field game)
- Psychedelic Theatre (hooping, juggling and roaming acts)
- Hosted games, activities and competitions
- Inspiring talks and short films
- Roaming performances by Sisonke Social Circus
- Some very special surprise announcements
- Sunset Cinema hosted by Short&Sweet Pop-Up Cinema (with some solar powered popcorn and all natural sprinkles on the side!)
There will be food vendors on-site, though we are highly encouraging everyone to bring personal picnic supplies and warm blankets to keep the chills away as the night draws in.
Needless to say, the whole event is 100% renewable energy powered.
The Sun Exchange is teaming up with many other local organisations and artists who share their determination to make the world a better place. Clean energy, electric transport, decentralised digital currency, sustainable agriculture… all here, for you.