The third book in the ‘I Live Smart’ series is seeing the light, with a competition attached…
Two years ago, we launched our first puppet storybook Keep the Beach Clean. It is based on the popular puppet show by the same name, performed daily in the AfriSam Children’s Play Centre in the Aquarium. The book tells the story of Beauty and her ocean friends as they struggle to overcome the environmental threat of plastic bags.
Then, a year later, we launched our second book, I Love Turtles. In it, we follow the adventures of Hatch the Turtle, and learn about the dangers of marine litter – especially discarded balloons, which look like food to turtles.
Now, in collaboration with the City of Cape Town, we are preparing to launch our third book in the series, I Live Smart. In I Live Smart, Beauty and Geo – along with the Aquarium’s mascots – teach us about living smartly through lessons about waste, water, electricity and biodiversity. The interactive dialogue allows children to become part of the storyline and to learn some valuable lessons when it comes to smart, environmentally friendly living.
Gift hampers up for grabs
To celebrate the launch of I Live Smart, we’re giving away three gift hampers worth R2 315 each, ideal for children between the ages of 3 and 9. If your kids are fans of our puppet shows at the AfriSam Children’s Play Centre then this competition is going to be a sure-fire hit.
Each gift hamper will contain:
- Two handmade dolls of characters from our Puppet Stories series – one of Beauty and one of Geo (worth R250 each)
- A family membership to the Aquarium (for two adults and two children, worth R1 070)
- An Aquarium sleepover on 12 December (worth R860 per family of four, and there will be a special preview of the I Live Smart puppet show at this members-only event!)
- A full set of Puppet Stories books, including Keep the Beach Clean, I Love Turtles and I Live Smart (worth R45 each)
All you have to do to enter is show us how you and your family make a difference for the environment.
How do you live smartly?
When it comes to waste, electricity, water and biodiversity – are you doing what you can to instil awareness in your family members and to make a lifestyle change, big or small?
To enter this competition, show us how you and your family live smartly. Be creative and try to make it a collaborative effort.
- You can take a photo of your child planting seeds in the garden to grow their own food
- You can make a video of your family saving water
- Your child or children can draw a picture of energy-saving devices around the house
- Your child or children can make an art piece from plastic and paper waste items found around the house
- Your child or children can write a poem or a story about protecting the environment
Send your entries, along with your name, surname and telephone number, to firstname.lastname@example.org with “I Live Smart” in the subject line on or before 30 November to be entered into the draw.
Source: Two Oceans Aquarium