- This event has passed.
Adaptation Futures Conference 2018
June 18 @ 8:00 am - June 21 @ 5:00 pm
Adaptation Futures is the biennial conference of the Global Programme of Research on Climate Change Vulnerability, Impacts and Adaptation (PROVIA). It is the premiere international climate change adaptation conference where people from countries around the world go to connect, learn and inspire!
Adaptation Futures 2018 provides an opportunity for international networking and dialogue with more than 1000 participants from academia, government, civil society and business, all aiming to take climate adaptation forward. Adaptation Futures 2018 aims to use our setting on the African continent to attract more African and Global South delegates than ever before to the conference and forefront developing country adaptation contexts.
The conference aims to to:
- Facilitate dialogue between research and government, civil society, international agencies and business
- Continue the shift from problem diagnosis to solutions and innovations
- Link adaptation action to sustainable development, investment and planning
- Have a strong focus on Africa and the Global South
- Provide attendance grants for delegates from developing countries
- Encourage the participation of early career researchers and practitioners
- Offer a variety of plenary and parallel sessions, round tables and side events
- Offer a vibrant Adaptation Expo
The conference will bring together diverse actors working in climate adaptation to learn from and stimulate each other in what they do and how they do it: academic and applied researchers, professionals in consulting and other roles, policy makers and managers, civil society, business, those working in international bodies and multilateral bodies.
Adaptation Futures 2018 – Dialogues for Solutions – aims to progress discussion and learning within the adaptation community on how to move from problem diagnosis to successful implementation. What is the community learning about making adaptation work, at different spatial, institutional and time scales, in different geographies, and in different political and economic settings? What are we learning from mistakes, unexpected outcomes and outright failure, as well as our successes? How does adaptation support successful development, and when does it not?
Adaptation Futures 2018 will take advantage of its location in Africa to stimulate critical Southern perspectives on adaptation to inform regional and global policy, practice and research, and to increase the focus on the links between adaptation and sustainable development.