- This event has passed.
Fifty Shades of Greywater
February 19, 2018 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
50-80% Of all residential wastewater is grey water. With the current target of 50 litres of water per person per day, that’s 30-35 litres per person of wastewater produced every day. This gets dumped down the drain (or used to flush a toilet first) and transported to treatment facilities using a huge amount of energy.
A huge amount of energy is then used to treat the water, before transporting the ‘treated’ water to the sea or other water bodies. This nutrient-rich water could instead be used to hydrate our landscapes, build soil, mitigate the effects of drought, and reduce the polluting of our oceans.
Join us as we explore:
- Greywater system design considerations
- 300 litres / day DIY water filtration (demo)
- Constructed wetlands (talk)
- Worm farm filtration (practical)
- Mulch basins (practical)
- Surge tanks and sump pumps best practice (demo), and
- Common greywater errors
This is a participatory and practical workshop where we’ll be implementing a greywater system to handle kitchen and bathroom sink, laundry and shower water at our venue.
What to bring:
- Snacks and a dish to share for a communal lunch. In the spirit of compassionate sharing, please ensure what you bring to share is kosher / halaal / vegetarian, and no stress if you’re unable to bring anything, there should be plenty to go round.
- Your own crockery (plates, cups and mugs) and cutlery
- Notepad and pen if you want to take notes
- Comfortable and weather appropriate clothes – this is an outdoor event
- Camping chairs / blankets / yoga mats / pillows to sit on
- An open mind and your inner genius
Looking forward to connecting and co-creating a rich learning experience with you!
Cost per person is R295. Tickets available here.
This workshop will only go ahead if there are 15 confirmed paying participants, so please share with those you feel may benefit. This is to ensure we cover our costs, keep the workshop fee low and make this education accessible. In the event we do not reach the 15 humans target, your ticket will be fully refunded. Tickets are non-refundable otherwise.