- This event has passed.
Greenpop Zambia Festival of Action 2015
June 28, 2015 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Greenpop Zambia Festival of Action 2015 brings people together from around the globe to plant thousands of trees in a country with one of the highest deforestation rates in the world!
We believe in (re)connecting people with our planet and do so through getting active (not anxious) about a sustainable future – we plant trees, build with eco-bricks, brighten schools with murals, grow food forests, host sustainability workshops, celebrate with live music and more.
It’s a Treevolution – come get your hands dirty!
Zambia has one of the highest deforestation rates in the world. It’s estimated that the country loses over 250 000 to 300 000 hectares of forest per year – that’s twice the size of Houston, Texas.
Progress so far:
- 11 176 trees planted
- 97 planting days
- 24 sustainability workshops
- 7 educational wall murals
- >50 handmade solar cookers
- >10 handmade rocket stoves
- 74 Tree Tuesday radio shows
- 48 schools
- 5 community farms
- 1 reforestation site
- over 500 passionate planters from Zambia and around the world!
What to expect:
- Help plant trees at schools, subsistence farms, and in deforested areas
- Teach children (and learn from them)
- Create value around trees
- Learn about alternative energy sources and spread this knowledge
- Attend lectures and workshops on environmental issues
- Immerse yourself in Zambian culture, and learn together with local volunteers and school children
- Enjoy the company of hundreds of other international and local volunteers
- Enjoy live music by acclaimed bands from Zambia and across southern Africa
- Visit the Victoria Falls, and enjoy the exciting activities like bungee jumping, bicycle tours and white water rafting
- Be part of the Treevolution!
How to get involved:
We have these options:
Schools Programme (28 June to 5 July)
Festival of Action Week 1 (5 July – 12 July)
Festival of Action Week 2 (12 July – 19 July)
Festival of Action Both Weeks (5 July to 19 July)
- Facebook event page here.
- Book with your student card and get a 10% student discount.
Trees for fees
Strapped for cash? Join our Trees for Fees programme and ask your friends and family to sponsor trees through your own online activist page and get your fees for FREE!
- 80 trees raised = attend first OR second week for FREE
- 150 trees raised = attend both weeks for free FREE
* Trees cost ZAR 120 / GBP 8 / Euro 10 / US$ 13 each.
If you are feeling adventurous, why not go overlanding? Our partners at Africa Travel Co. have a range of amazing overlanding trips which you could book to expand your adventure on the way to the project or on your way home.
If you’re travelling on a budget, there are various bus routes through Intercape and Pathfinder which that will get you to Livingstone.
If you’re short on time, your quickest option is to fly into the Livingstone International Airport (LVI).
The Greenpop Village will be set up at a lodge just outside Livingstone. You will be sleeping in a beautiful tented camp area with access to our dining area, ablution blocks, and other lodge amenities. We pride ourselves in creating beautiful, fun spaces!
In conjunction with the Zambia Festival of Action, Greenpop also hosts Earth Fest – a rocking party with great live music from around southern Africa. As a volunteer in the first week, you will be invited come and enjoy some of the finest music this side of the equator on Saturday 11 July!