- This event has passed.
Introduction to Solar Energy Course
April 9 @ 8:00 am - April 14 @ 5:00 pm
The course consists of a study of both Photovoltaics (PV) and Solar-thermal technologies for generating electricity from sunlight. The principles, manufacturing technologies, efficiencies, advantages and limitations of various PV cells will be considered. The students should be able to design a manufacturing plant as well as practical installations of various PV components in a cost effective way.
The different solar-thermal systems will be introduced with the basic heat transfer and thermodynamics principles that apply. Both bulk electricity generation and smaller stand alone systems will be covered.
- Principles of operation of PV cells
- Manufacturing technologies of crystalline and thin film PV cells
- Balance of system (BOS): regulators, inverters and storage
- Design of stand alone PV systems
- Design of roof mounted grid connected PV systems
- Design of large MW PV systems
- Concentrators: combined heat and power generation (CHP).
- Thermodynamics, Heat Transfer
- Bulk solar thermal power generation systems
- Energy storage
- Large scale plant specifics and quantification
- Life cycle costing.
Online registration links for this short course will be active from mid February.
For more info contact the Centre for Renewable and Sustainable Energy Studies:
- Tel: 021 808 4069