- This event has passed.
Organics & Compost Making Workshop
July 12, 2014 @ 8:00 am - July 13, 2014 @ 5:00 pm
- DATE: 12 & 13 July 2014
- VENUE: Blue Sky Organics olive farm, Van Wyksdorp, Klein Karoo (Between Barrydale and Ladismith)
- CONTACT: Liz Eglington at 028 5812014 or via email.
- CONTENT: This workshop takes place on a certified organic farm which has been farming organically for 16 years, and covers theoretical and practical instruction.
Who is the workshop aimed at?
1 Farmers and smallholders
2 Consumers wanting to grow their own food
3 Retailers and Health practitioners wanting to understand the constructs of Organic in order to educate themselves and their clients.
The workshop covers the following:
- Why Organic? The devastation wreaked on the Planet, humans and animals as we moved AWAY from organic.
- In depth study of the structure of HEALTHY soil. Types of soil, PH and what it means, soil minerals and what causes imbalances- and how this affects our health and soil health, understanding the ratios and relationships.
- Micro-organisms- what they are, what they do and their essential co-existence in soil with each other and with plants.
- Roots. How they work, how they take up minerals and nutrients, and their relationships with each other and the micro-organisms that live on them.
- Compost- what is it and what is it not. Different types of compost, and how to make them. How to measure them, and use them. Practical compost making.
Delegates leave with a full training pack, and access to me via phone and/or internet for follow up advice.