- This event has passed.
Support the ban of animal testing
April 21, 2018 @ 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
Cape Town Unites for Animals – sky, land and sea – welcomes everyone to join this march. We are marching to show our support of the bill to ban cosmetic testing in South Africa.
The single most important thing Beauty Without Cruelty (South Africa) did last year was to initiate the Animal Protection Act amendment to include a ban on cosmetic testing. Because of this, after months of research by Ms C Dudley and her team, finally a Private Member’s Animal Protection Amendment Bill has been submitted.
The purpose of the Bill is to amend two Acts, the Animals Protection Act 1962 and the Foodstuffs, Cosmetics and Disinfectants Act of 1972, with the following intentions:
- To prohibit the sale and manufacture of cosmetics (final product and ingredients) which were tested on animals in South Africa
- To criminalise the testing of cosmetics on animals
- To criminalise the failure to provide animals with an appropriate environment
We are indebted to Ms C Dudley and her team for the dedication, time and energy to this important and vital issue. We have received words of support from Cruelty Free International (formerly the British Union Against Vivisection) which has the Leaping Bunny, which means this action has received international recognition.
- DATE: Saturday, April 21, 2018
- GATHER: From 10h00 at Kaizergracht parking lot (diagonally opposite The Castle)
- MARCH ADDRESS: 10h50
- MARCH BEGINS: 11h00
- ROUTE: We march down Darling Street to Adderley, up Adderley and turn left at the Iziko Museum into Spin, and up Plein to the gates of Parliament.
- PARLIAMENT ADDRESS: 11h40
Cheryllyn Dudley (MP), ACDP.
Kerry Postlewhite, Director of Public Affairs, Cruelty Free International.
Toni Brockhoven (BWC)
We march back to the Kaizergracht parking lot.
DISTANCE: Approx. 2.4 km total.
QUESTION & ANSWER SESSION:
(venue and Time to be announced)
- Cheryllyn Dudley (MP).
- Kerry Postlewhite.
- Toni Brockhoven.
PLEASE BRING BANNERS, BOTH ORGANISATIONAL AND PERSONAL, SLOGANS, MEGAPHONES, T-SHIRTS, DRESS UP!
DOGS are welcome but please remember water and check the weather as sensitive paws burn on hot tarmac.
CHILDREN are welcome.
BWC confirms they will be supplying a trailer to ride, for those who wish to join and are unable to walk the distance for various reasons. Please BOOK your spot by emailing Toni V Brockhoven at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This march is being organised by:
- Beauty Without Cruelty (South Africa)
- VOICES FOR AFRICAN WILDLIFE CAMPAIGN (For Elephants and Rhinos)
- Talking Tree