- This event has passed.
Thermal Energy Systems Course
June 25, 2018 @ 8:00 am - June 30, 2018 @ 5:00 pm
The course consists of a study of the conventional energy systems that contribute to the total energy mix throughout the world today. The course will give an insight into the current world energy supply and the demand for conventional energy including consumption figures for various end-users. The supply and demand for conventional energy in South Africa will also be covered. The contribution made by each of the systems across the various continents and for the major industrialized countries will be discussed. For each of the major systems, the methods of energy generation and production as well as the supply networks will be covered.
The main themes for the course will include:
- Introduction to Conventional Energy Systems
- Thermodynamic Cycles
- Gas Turbines
- Oil and Natural Gas
- Energy Efficiency and the Future
No academic credits can be obtained by attending this course.
Who should attend?
- Engineers, technologists and technicians active in the energy sector.
- Architects, planners and developers. G
- overnment and local authority officials.
Please note that in order to fully benefit from this course some mathematical ability will be advantageous in order to significantly appreciate several of the relevant concepts.
Certification and Accreditation
The module has been registered with the Engineering Council of South Africa for Continuous Professional Development points. A Certificate of Attendance with an indication of the CPD points and level will be awarded to all participants who attend the full course from Monday morning to Saturday lunchtime.
The Stellenbosch Information Bureau can be contacted at tel. 021-883 3584 for available accommodation near the university. A list of available guesthouses can also be obtained from email@example.com.
Prof Thomas Harms is a Professor in the Thermo-Fluid Division. He is registered as a Professional Engineer with the Engineering Council of South Africa since 1987 and is evaluated as a C3-category researcher by the NRF since 2005. Prof Harms’ field of specialty is computational fluid dynamics (CFD) and he does his research in CFD and (solar) energy systems. He did his PhD on using a finite volume method for the analysis of flow fields with complex boundaries.
The course is designed for a restricted number of attendees so as to personalise and maximize the learning experience. Bookings will be taken on a first come first served basis.
Registration must be done online here. No registration is final until you have received a confirmation by email from Stellenbosch University.
Registrations close on Friday 8 June 2018.
- Course fee for the five and a half-day course: R10500
- Cancellation of enrolment made up to and including Friday, 8 June 2018 will be subject to a 15% handling fee. No refunds will be made after this date; however, substitutions will be accepted.
- Attendance without payment will not be permitted.
- In the case of unforeseen circumstances Stellenbosch University reserves the right to cancel the course or change the lecturer with at least two weeks’ notice, in which case all fees will be reimbursed in full on request.
- The course fee includes all study material, tea/coffee and lunches.