- This event has passed.
Trees For Zambia: Festival of Action 2014
June 15, 2014 @ 8:00 am - July 7, 2014 @ 5:00 pm
Greenpop is on a mission to (re)connect people with our planet. Their method: to plant trees and have fun doing it!
Join Trees for Zambia – an exciting reforestation and eco-education Festival of Action at the mighty Victoria Falls in June.
Just like in previous years, they will be planting thousands of trees and spreading eco-education in an effort to fight the drastic deforestation in the Livingstone area – and you can be part of it!
Join them for one, two or three weeks and plant trees, educate children, learn about environmental issues through a range of lectures and workshops, enjoy brilliant live music, and explore this beautiful corner of Africa.
Zambia has seen rampant deforestation in recent decades, mainly as a result of bad land management, slash and burn farming methods, unsustainable logging and tree cutting for charcoal. According to the UN-REDD programme, Zambia has approximately 50 million hectares of forest, with an estimated deforestation rate of 250,000 to 300,000 hectares per year.
Greenpop envisions Trees for Zambia as a “festival of action” – meaning that that people will come from all nations and walks of life to Livingstone for this project to celebrate green living – and then translate that positive energy into ACTION!
Deforestation is an extremely pressing issue in Zambia, and we need to get down and dirty and DIG to make a change. Join us at Trees for Zambia, and you can expect to…
- Help plant trees at schools, subsistence farms, and in deforested areas
- Educate school children on the importance of trees, alternative energy and the environment
- Create value for trees in the Livingstone communities
- Learn about alternative energy sources and spread this knowledge to local community members
- Attend lectures and workshops on environmental issues by notable speakers from around the world
- Immerse yourself in Zambian culture, and increase your eco awareness together with local volunteers and school children
- Enjoy the company of dozens of other international and local volunteers
- Enjoy live music by acclaimed bands from Zambia and other African countries
- Visit the awesome Victoria Falls, and enjoy some of the exciting activities around Livingstone, such as bungee jumping, bicycle tours and white water rafting
- Be part of the Treevolution!
Book now! All bookings and enquiries should be sent to email@example.com. We have 1, 2 and 3 week options from 15 June to 6 July 2014. People from African countries should email us for discounted prices in rands.
Join Trees for Fees! To keep Trees For Zambia up and running we need volunteers & we need trees – both are equally important to the project. They’ve launched a campaign which allows you to raise funds for trees on Greenpop’s behalf from anywhere in the world and get your fees for the project reduced or negated entirely!
Become an activist, raise funds for trees and join the treeplanters in Zambia in 2014. For full details please download this instruction document.
Gift a tree! You can contribute to our project by gifting a tree – or lots of trees. You’ll be assigned a tree in Zambia and sent its GPS coordinates!
Travel and accommodation:
Not sure how to get to Livingstone?
- You can book a seat on our bus! We’ll drive you from either Cape Town or Joburg, all the way to our Greenpop Village in Livingstone.
- You can treat yourself to a fun overland trip to get there and/or to get back! If you book this with our partner Africa Travel Company and mention that you’re a Greenpop Treevolutionary, you’ll get 15% discount! Check out their tours here.
- Or you can fly! Our friends at Flight Centre are happy to help you out.
Additionally, we are now offering accommodation upgrades! If you’re not so keen on camping, you can opt for a comfy room instead. You can find pictures of the rooms here.
To get more info email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photos by Sarah Isaacs