The first ever largE youth led environmental summit is planned for Ghana. This promises to be a single mammoth gathering of young people to learn, create and discuss strategies and solutions for environmental sustainability in Ghana.
It is time to set and shift priorities from the bottom to the top, at all levels of society, from policies to implementation; and encourage, equip and empower our generation with tools, techniques and technology to solve the environmental crisis.
- To discuss, learn and share innovative solutions in clean/renewable energy and green technology;
- To train a new generation of young people in environmental policy, organizing and campaigning for action on the environment;
- To give front line communities affected by pollution a voice to share their experiences and engage policy makers in solution driven interactions.
Our generation is faced with unprecedented environmental crisis and challenges:
- Environmental sanitation in Ghana is deteriorating each day with waste management remaining a national burden
- The removal and destruction of forest cover speeding desertification and threatening agriculture.
- Government is investing in a 700MW coal fired power plant through a Chinese Energy Group.
- Agbogboshie, a community in Ghana has been named among The World’s 10 Most Polluted Places.
- Water pollution through illegal mining (‘Galamsey’) is destroying rivers and water bodies and threatening access to good drinking water.
- More than 20 whales have been seen washed ashore dead in areas of oil exploration in Ghana since 2009.
- Ghana loses GHS750m (more than $1.875m) annually due to poor sanitation delivery.
Help them out
They are hoping to raise $10,000 for Power Shift.
The funds will be used to pay for accommodation, transportation and subsistence (meals and refreshment) of the hundreds of young people traveling from all length and breadth of the country – from all the 10 regions of Ghana for the 3 days mammoth gathering.
They will also pay for the summit venue and space, summit materials/stationery and honorarium for some selected resource persons, experts and trainers who will be training participants.
If they are not able to raise their target funding, we will have to cut down on the number of participants for Power Shift who are very qualified and equally passionate about taking action for the earth. They want to prevent doing this and that is why your support means everything to thems.
Why your contribution matters
The youth are the future of Ghana. They are the stewards of the environment and future policy makers and leaders. Ghana needs the youth to protect the environment. The conference has to happen to ensure that Ghana will be protected from the ravages of climate change. If the young people of today are not equipped and empowered to protect the environment, we have little or no chance of dealing with the impacts in future. Donations of any size are greatly appreciated.
Your contribution will make Power Shift possible no matter how small it is. “Little drops of water make a mighty ocean” so no donation is too small. Issues of environmental injustice and climate change affect all of us no matter where we live, so supporting Power Shift in Ghana means protecting the planet no matter where you live.
- Venue: University of Ghana, Legon
- Duration: 3 days
- Date: July 25- 28, 2014
- Number of Participants: 500
- Plenary sessions/Presentations
- Working Groups/Workshops
- Exhibition: Renewable Energy & Green Technology
- Side Events: Flash Mob Dance, Music/Poetry Concert, Movies/Filming
(confirmation of speakers ongoing)
- Keynote by UN Special Envoy on Climate Change
- Q&A – Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Ministry of Environment, Science, Technology & Innovation (MESTI), Ministry of Energy & Petroleum, Ministry of Land & Natural Resources
- Real Life Stories by Front line Communities
- Key Solutions & Innovations & Technologies Available
To sponsor, partner or support Power Shift, please email them here.