Congratulations to Hotelstuff/Greenstuff for taking top honours at this year’s Decorex Joburg exhibition. As curators and creators of The Plascon Living Green House the online directory service created what many hailed as an ‘enlightening journey of environmental responsibility meets trendsetting style.’
As the ultimate accolade at this year’s show, the win for the Hotelstuff/Greenstuff team further proves that green products no longer have to take the backseat when it comes to the style stakes.
Besides showcasing the latest in green innovations, the Living Green House also demystified the choices available to make a difference in one’s own space. This inviting and unintimidating green space was full to the brim with special features sourced by Lorraine Jenks, who heads up Greenstuff.co.za, and her team and included:
- Plascon’s range of eco-paints: Double Velvet and Cashmere which are both Green Star Compliant.
- Wind and solar solutions
- The latest in energy efficient and wireless technologies
- State of the art LED lighting
- Sustainable timber frame modular housing
- Latest advancements in bamboo and recycled flooring solutions
- Waterless urinals, water saving and recycling ideas
- Seed pod and recycled plastic lamps and chandeliers
- Reconstituted eco-stone counter tops
- Bathroom fittings made of recycled aluminium car parts
- New life given to old suitcases and zinc tubs
- Recycled glass products
- Organic food and drink innovations
- Clever indigenous landscaping and herb garden solutions
- Cutting edge eco-friendly appliances
- Green cleaning detergents and toxin-free toiletries
- Floor mats from reclaimed rubber tyres
- Decking from reprocessed milk bottles
- Compacted tableware made from recycled bottles
- Right on-trend recycled or sustainably resourced furniture
- Pure wool and recycled paper insulation
- Entirely natural, ultimate luxury, handmade bed
- Stylish green-conscience bed linen and bathroom accessories
According to Melanie Robinson, head of the Decorex SA portfolio, The Living Green House set a new standard in exhibition design, “Not only does the overall winner represent a benchmark in showcasing a range of products from a multitude of suppliers, it proves that eco-caring has gone mainstream – green products no longer have to stand back in terms of looks and style. This winning exhibit proves just how cool and cutting-edge green design has become. It leads the pack.”
The discerning judges included:
- Zola Kgaka (SAIA – SA Institute of Architects)
- Ryan Ilgner, President of the South Africa Institute of Interior Design Professions (IID)
- Decor stylist Sherri Chipps
- Interior designer Dorothy Van’t Riet
They unanimously awarded top honours to the The Living Green House, supplied by Hotelstuff/Greenstuff saying “We were blown away by the stand for ticking every box – from the structure design and the passionate, well-informed staff to the accessibility of the products.”
Who designed the green living house?
The designer responsible for the structure of the stand was Nicholas De Klerk of Design+Display.
Lorraine Jenks developed Hotelstuff.co.za nine years ago. Three years ago Greenstuff.co.za was launched. They are both online directories. Whilst Greenstuff features suppliers of eco-friendly products and services; both were born from the combination of 15 years experience as Purchasing Contracts Manager for Africa’s largest hotel chain and Lorraine’s lifelong passion to make a difference to our fragile planet. This passion now drives her to educate everyone about making green choices.
“Being green is not about bell bottoms, tofu and tie-dye anymore,” says Lorraine Jenks. “Green is the new Black.” She is also a highly respected environmental consultant and eco-procurement specialist – often referred to as the “Little Green Queen”.