This is the first part of our new series on using homoepathy for everyday domestic aches and pains. Since raising 5 children on homeopathy and becoming a registered homeopath in England, Genie Rowson is on a mission to share this knowledge with everyone keen to find more gentle and powerful healing for their families. After bad experiences with children on and off antibiotics, both her and myself (Elma) searched for more natural and effective modalities that support the body to heal itself, and found it in homeopathy. Back to Genie…
‘Sepia? Sepia? Where have I heard that before?’ I hear you asking yourself. Sepia is made from the ink of the cuttlefish and is a thick brown dye that was used in the olden days by artists and photographers for painting and photography. The homeopathic remedy Sepia is known to assist with numerous weaknesses, disorders and ailments, and will help you even if only one of the descriptions below matches how you feel.
This is the first part of our new series on using homoepathy for everyday domestic aches and pains. Since raising 5 children on homeopathy and becoming a registered homeopath in England, Genie Rowson is on a mission to share this knowledge with everyone keen to find more gentle and powerful healing for their families. After bad experiences with children on and off antibiotics, both her and myself (Elma) searched for more natural and effective modalities that support the body to heal itself, and found it in homeopathy. Back to Genie.
On a daily basis, I meet women in my practice who need, and benefit enormously from the homeopathic remedy Sepia. In homeopathy we name a patient by the remedy that most closely fits a person’s whole picture of emotional and physical shortcomings, failings, weaknesses, limitations and infirmities. Therefore, when we talk about a ‘Sepia person,’ we are talking about a person who would most benefit from this remedy. Although Sepia is known primarily as a woman’s remedy, it is also extremely helpful to girls of all ages and men. However, for the purposes of this article I will describe all the symptoms relating to the female gender.
In this hectic world with all the demands of family, work and home, I know there are millions of women out there who would benefit from Sepia. Even though the Sepia woman may be full of doom and gloom, she is also tough (with a hard inner core) and is determined to get better and overcome her problems, ailments and weaknesses. The woman who needs Sepia feels tired, exhausted, washed-out, worn out and just can’t cope. After prolonged stress and strain, hard work, focused effort and endurance, she feels dragged down and overburdened.
Although this is very out of character for her, she feels there is no option but to run away from it all and leave husband, children, home, the lot! She wants to escape but at the same time she has a fear of being alone and seeks company. (She behaves like the cuttlefish – a loner and an independent creature.) She has become indifferent to her loved ones and is averse to her job and everything that infringes on her sense of independence and identity. She is aggressive and snappy, especially with loved ones, and may even become aggressive defending her own space.
Emotions are a prominent disorder – she is sad, silent and solitary, irritable, anxious and restless. She is easily and often tearful, and even if she isn’t seen crying, the tears will not be far below the surface. She feels lonely and overcome by life’s heavy loads. She is easily offended, suffers from mood swings and depression, and is prone to sudden outbursts of anger to camouflage and defend herself (just like the cuttlefish does when it spurts out a think cloud of ink to hide and shield itself). Fears may also be a prominent feature, like the fear of going mad or losing control, fear of solitude or impending doom, or fear of having an incurable disease.
She is invigorated by exercise or any energetic activity and she especially loves to dance (even when there is no one around!) Other symptoms may include:
- Dizziness or light-headedness; hair loss.
- Headaches, especially around the time of menstruation.
- Uterus, bladder, rectum may be prolapsed and feel dragged down.
- Disinterested in sex and cannot stand to be touched.
- Symptoms of menopause and menstrual disorders are favourably assisted by Sepia.
- She cannot get off to sleep easily and wakes unrefreshed.
- She always feels tired and is at her worst from 4pm to 8pm; feels better after a short nap during the day.
- Circulation problems such as cold hands and feet (Raynard’s symptoms) and varicose veins. She always feels better for warmth.
- Brown pigmentation on the cheeks (often see in pregnant women) or scattered all over the body; urticaria (itchy rash).
- Patchy, circular shaped eczema that is red and itchy and occurs mostly on the bends of the elbows and knees.
- Spots, acne and hormonal related eruptions especially around the mouth, chin & forehead areas.
- May experience nausea at the smell or sight of food.
- Abdominal bloating, flatulence, constipation and haemorrhoids.
- Lower back pain, especially while sitting and after doing housework, possibly with sciatica (pains down the leg) which is relieved by pressure in the back or sitting against a hard cushion. Knee pain and restlessness in the legs is common.
- Cystitis or urinary tract infections may be frequent.
- Slow urination; weak bladder – must go urgently, with incontinence (involuntary urination) during coughing or sneezing.
Benefits of homeopathy
- It is safe – even in pregnancy and for tiny infants
- It is universal – available under the same names all over the world
- It boosts the immune system
- It treats the person in the body – both emotional and physical symptoms
- It works very fast (contrary to popular belief)
- It treats the WHOLE person, not separate symptoms
- It can be used with conventional medicine to boost the body’s healing mechanisms
- It strengthens general resistance to dis-ease
- It is made from natural substances, promoting healing as nature intended
- It is easy and pleasant to take (even for babies and the elderly)
- It helps prevent disease when taken as a prophylactic (preventative)
- It is affordable
- It is a complete system of medicine – there is a homeopathic remedy for every disorder in the human body
- It stimulates the body’s own healing mechanisms
A mother of five, Genie Rowson, Fellow of the British Institute of Homeopathy, is a natural health practitioner with a full-time practice in Douglasdale, Johannesburg. “I want people, especially mothers, to become confident in using natural homeopathic remedies to manage everyday ailments. The more you use my book “There’s a Remedy for that – a Simple Self-help Guide for use of Homeopathic Medicine for Everyday Ailments” and our remedies, the more confident you will become and the healthier you and your family will be.’
The book and two ranges of potentised remedies (Symphony and Maestro) are available from agents countrywide.
For moodiness and depression (particularly in women) that includes tearfulness, anger, a desire to run away and escape, feeling over-burdened, desperate, unable to cope or about to lose control; exhausted after prolonged stress and strain, argumentative (particularly with loved ones). This remedy has saved many a relationship and marriage.
What Genie says about Sepia: “If I could take only one remedy with me to a desert island (out of approximately the 5 000 available), then it would definitely be Sepia. This is my favourite women’s remedy. Excellent for promoting hormonal balance at any stage of life.”
Nux Vom 200c
Fussy about order and accuracy; highly impatient and irritable. Talks, eats, walks quickly. Liable to sudden outbursts of rage during extreme stress and is unduly exasperated over contradiction and trifles – feels better after a good blow-up.
What Genie says about Nux Vom: “Especially helpful at the end of a long and trying day! My husband often suggests that I take a dose of this particular remedy!”
Kali Phos 200c
An essential brain, nerve, heart and lung nutrient which calms the nervous system and improves symptoms of anxiety, general melancholy, panic, nervous tension, insomnia, depression and hyper-sensitivity. One of the greatest nerve remedies. For mental and/or physical exhaustion with anxiety brought on by excitement, overwork or worry. Brain fag with poor memory, irritability and dizziness.
What Genie says about Kali Phos: “A great remedy for students and executives – and even harried mums! Use this remedy for mental and physical exhaustion.”
By Genie Rowson
- Read more at The Remedy Shoppe.