The final countdown to the winner announcement begins!
The announcement of Total’s first Eco Pioneer is around the corner. The last votes are trickling in and these will decide the candidate that will walk away with a cash contribution of R20 000 towards their cause. It’s your turn to take up the green baton and pass it on to any of the six Eco Pioneers whose environmental work you think has potential.
Total’s eco initiative started on Arbour Day shortly after it launched its most eco friendly fuel to date –Total Evolution with Ultra Low Sulphur. This was followed by a pledge to plant a tree in the real world for every ‘Like’ received on Total’s Facebook page. To date, over 7899 Likes have been received which adds up to a whole forest!
The search for Total’s Eco Pioneers kicked off on 28 October 2011 with each environmentalist boasting a unique eco blueprint and film. They were headhunted from all over South Africa – both rural and urban areas – and come from different walks of life.
The final six
1. Louis Barnard from Sasolburg. Founded Flame Africa, a company that uses recycled paper to make bricks which low income households can use as a viable, eco-friendly alternative energy source
2. Wren Design started by Cape Town-based textile designer Wren Setzer. Uses all-natural, non-synthetic materials to create bags and other accessories
3. Canzibe Primary School is one of the few surviving eco-schools committed to sustainable gardening and water-harvesting practices in Motherwell Township, Port Elizabeth
4. The Fresh Air Factory is a Durban based eco-packaging project that’s committed to turning consumer waste – like plastic bottles – into reusable packaging
5. Raw Honey sells all-natural honey and beeswax food and beverage products and is a registered member of the South African Bee Industry Organisation that does ethical removals of bees
6. Zenobia Baumgarten decorates her house using only recycled objects. Instead of buying new, Zenobia collect old objects which she revives and uses in and around her home
Up to now, the race has been closely contested by all six Eco Pioneers with Wren Design in a thirteen point lead ahead of Zenobia Baumgarten. Your show of support will decide the winner to be announced in February this year. Remember you get one vote per day till the cut-off date of end January.