“Johannesburg’s landfills are filling up at an alarming rate, hence the tremendous pressure to protect our environment. The power to conserve our environment lies with each of us, as each individual contributes to the overall picture of landfill preservation. It is in this spirit, that we must proactively practise recycling and other waste minimisation practises. I believe, that it all starts here and now, with our future leaders – you, the youth of Joburg,” said Pikitup’s Acting Managing Director, Lawrence Boya at the Pikitup Youth Stakeholder Summit, which was held at the Alec Gorshel Hall at the Braamfontein Recreation Centre.
In keeping with Youth Month, some of the objectives of the Youth Summit included educating the youth on various issues of waste and pollution management, promoting and demonstrating poverty alleviation and job creation through waste management projects. PETCO was invited to showcase some opportunities in the waste management sector. PETCO supports projects that contribute to the visible recycling of polyethylene terephthalate (PET) plastic bottles identified with #1 polymer identification code.
Sponsorship is needed for the following items:
- Bailing machines
- bulk bags
- bins (various sizes)
- trailers, trolleys and cages.
PETCO also offers training workshops and educational material (recycling leaflets).
PETCO encourages the youth to apply for assistance to facilitate the collection of PET under their PETCO “Category B” projects. For more information and to receive application forms for PETCO Category B projects please contact Ms Belinda Booker “Category B” Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org, or tel 011 615 8875.
“As with any business, success depends on good research and planning. It is important to do your homework, said Kea Nkitseng PETCO Public Relations and Administrative Support.
Contact recycling companies for advice and ask them:
- What recyclables do you buy?
- Do I need to clean or sort recyclables in any specific way?
- Where can I deliver?
- How much do I need to store in order for you to collect?
- Where can I drop off recyclables if I have my own transport?
- How much do you pay per kg or ton?
- What sorting equipment do you supply (bulk bags, racks, sorting table, etc.)?
For more information call 0860 147 738 toll-free or click banner below:
1. Roelf de Beer, Pikitup’s project manager educates the youth on how to separate waste at the source.
2. Johannesburg’s youth-formed commission, which will encourage separation at the source in their local communities.