All those promoting awareness and education of the marine environment are gathering in Gauteng from 11-16 January 2015 to share research, classroom and field activities and be energized with new ideas.
Now is the time to book for the 15th Marine and Coastal Educators Network (MCEN) Conference, which brings together formal and informal educators from schools, public aquariums, non-profit NGOs, government agencies and research institutions for 5 days of learning, sharing, and networking.
The event aims to promote awareness and education of the marine environment. The programme will feature information on marine research, classroom and field teaching activities and techniques while offering interesting and informative field experiences.
Share passion and be inspired
The MCEN conference is a great opportunity for all marine science communicators and educators to share their passion for marine science education and to be energized and inspired with new ideas.
The annual conference moves each year based on the hosting regional chapter. The 2015 conference will be held in MCEN’s newly established chapter in Gauteng. Mr Armstrong Mashakeni is the MCEN representative in the region. The conference will be co-hosted by the National Zoological Gardens in Pretoria.
MCEN aims to assist marine educators in their activities, facilitate collaboration between educators, help co-ordinate national marine education initiatives and to identify future opportunities for marine education.
How to register
Register online here by 31 October 2014.
Submit your activity, lesson or presentation.
Complete the online submission form here by 31 October. Please consider activities and information that can be taken back to the classroom or outreach facility.
Registration cost is only R1500 and includes accommodation and one year free membership of MCEN.
Kindly process payment with these bank details by 30 November:
- Account holder: Marine and Coastal Educators Network
- Standard Bank Account: 085 173 312
- Branch: Westville
- Branch Code: 5426
Travel and venue details
- Lectures will be presented at the National Zoological Gardens at 232 Boom Street, Pretoria (map here).
- Accommodation will be at Khayalethu Group Accommodation at 1291 Arcadia Street, Hatfield. Please bring your own bedding. Most meals will be included in the price except for one or two meals. Drinks are excluded.
- Airport transfers: We will be making use of the reliable transport available from the Gautrain for airport transfers. One Gautrain Gold Card is required per passenger to use trains and buses. Both lecture and accommodation venues are situated near the Gautrain bus route. Click here for more information on Gautrain services. A shuttle will operate between Bosman Station in central Pretoria and the National Zoological Gardens on the 11th and 16th of January (between 10am – 6pm on the first and last day of the conference).
012 339 2742
083 988 1999
021 402 3536
083 268 3804