Greening your home and business is a journey. I don’t think anyone can ever fully arrive. We will constantly learn more and adapt continuously towards living more consciously. Life as learning means every day opens up to new possibilities and magic. Every step I experience brings along a deepening of gratitude for what is abundantly offered.
All that’s needed is to place yourself into a receptive position. Like the solar geyser that we had installed this week. This now blends against the most northern wall, connected to two collectors basking on the white roof, soaking up the sun’s freely distributed heat.
What took me so long? For five years I have been investigating solar geysers and trying to make sense of an industry with many challenges. I have had a variety of installers here for quotes and have spoken to most. And I mean diversity here. It seems in a new and growing industry it is common to have a bunch of folk jumping onto the band wagon, looking for a piece of the pie. One guy was even determined to persuade me that south was north and that he would install my collector on my southern sloping roof.
In the end, and with help from my clever friends – thank you – I made my own list of requirements and then the decision was easy:
- Use a local company, preferably someone you know personally and who has been in the business for at least 5 years – you need to be able to call them anytime if there’s a problem and after-care is essential
- Use a company entirely focused on solar geysers, not this thrown into a mix of other things
- If you can’t find a company you personally know, ask for references of previous clients in your area, go and visit them and find out how they experienced the service
- Look for integrity, honesty and a sharing of values
- Look for those who understand sustainability – green comes from the inside. It is not merely a plumbing installation.
- Find the system most suited to your weather conditions and the African sun
- Know your family’s needs and habits and create the best fit
- Give feedback, stay in touch and share your experience with the rest of us.
And now for the good news … Solar Juice, who installed my geyser, is offering a special deal to Green Times readers within the Greater Cape Town area:
Installation of a 200 litre high pressure solar geyser system for R14,500 incl. VAT. Solar Juice will carry the extra cost of the rebate – this means that you don’t have to wait 8 weeks for the Eskom rebate money. This price is for an on-roof (pitched roof) installation, where the solar geyser can be installed just above the existing electrical geyser. For a flat roof there is an extra charge. Leon Needham will visit you to determine your needs. This geyser is corrosion free and both the flat plate panel and geyser are locally produced, high quality products.
Solar Juice also installs 150 litre high pressure systems as well as 100 litre low pressure systems. Please send a mail to Leon at email@example.com and remember to cc firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Green Times Solar Geyser Special”.
This offer is only available until the end of August. Join the solar generation NOW and receive your stream of free heat from the sun.