The CSIR (Council for Scientific and Industrial Research) is a leading scientific and technology research organisation, implementing projects throughout Africa and making a
difference in people’s lives.
Doctoral Studentships: Marine remote sensing (Cape Town & Pretoria)
The research unit is seeking two (2) motivated and enthusiastic Doctoral Students to conduct original research of the development of vessel, as well as sea state monitoring
using satellite data. The research will contribute to Maritime Domain Awareness (MDA) by monitoring our territorial waters for ships that may be involved in oil pollution, piracy, fishing
incursions and smuggling, as well as the extraction of sea state parameters (such as wind speed, ocean current etc.).
One student will be based at CSIR Meraka Institute in Pretoria while the other at CSIR NRE in Cape Town. These dynamic groups comprise electronic engineers, computer scientists, and oceanographic, as well as environmental remote-sensing specialists.
About the studentship
CSIR PhD studentship programme is both prestigious and competitive. A studentship is an employment contract with the CSIR for selected graduates to primarily perform research on
a topic approved by the organisation, which is fully funded by the CSIR and will lead to a doctoral degree. The benefits and features of a studentship are as follows:
- Obtain a doctoral degree while working as part of a professional research group.
- Obtain exposure to related industry and public sector projects.
- Receive very attractive financial support for full-time study: annual salary; university fees; subsistence and travel for meetings with the university.
Candidates must have the required prior degree to be eligible for a studentship:
A Master’s degree in case of a doctoral studentship and an Honours degree in case of a Master’s degree. Applications can also be made while in the final year of the prior degree on condition that the degree is completed before the commencement of the studentship.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- Prior degrees: An MSc in a related field (computer science, applied mathematics, physics, oceanography) or an MEng (electronic or computer engineering).
- Programming experience (preferably C/C++ and Python).
- SS-F-HR-363 REV 02 Advert Meraka Institute Page 1 of NUMPAGES *Arabic 1
- Experience in image processing and signal processing is an advantage.
Should you meet the above requirements, kindly apply via https://candidate.csir.co.za and select the position reference number 302620, if you are a first time applicant, you will be required to register before you can submit your application. If you are a returning applicant, please log onto the application system using your user name and password.
Closing date: 31 May 2013
PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY. Should you experience any problems in submitting your application, please contact the CSIR Recruitment Centre at Recruitmentqueries@csir.co.za.