The Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries is looking for a Deputy Director-General of Fisheries Management at the Cape Town Centre.
An all inclusive package of R1,076,619 per annum (Level 15). The inclusive remuneration package consists of a basic salary, the State’s contribution to the Government Employees Pension Fund, a medical fund and a flexible portion in terms of applicable rules. The successful candidate must enter into a performance agreement and sign an employment contract.
- The position of Deputy Director-General: Fisheries Management is available for a person in possession of a relevant Honours degree as well as six (6) to ten (10) years experience in a senior management position
- Applicants should also have knowledge and understanding of the Public Service Legislative Framework, the fishing industry, aquaculture and marine living resource issues, international law and their impact on fisheries as well as Government imperatives and priorities especially with regards to fisheries
- The incumbent will be required to provide strategic and executive leadership to the Branch, promote development, management, monitoring and sustainable use of marine resources to promote the development of South Africa’s Fisheries sector.
Skills and competencies:
- Financial management
- Strategic capability and Leadership
- Programme and Project management
- Knowledge management
- Service Delivery Innovation (SDI)
- Problem solving and analysis
- People management and empowerment
- Client orientation and Customer focus
- Honesty and Integrity
- Change management.
- The incumbent will be required to provide strategic and executive leadership to the Branch, promote the development, management, monitoring and sustainable use of marine resources to promote development of South Africa’s Fisheries sector
- Provide strategic and policy leadership with regards to the development of the aquaculture industry, to enhance economic opportunities and growth and sustainable resource management
- Guide and promote ongoing research into fisheries related resources and ecosystems, to enable resource protection, management and development
- Ensure strategic and operational management of South Africa’s marine living resources, through sound allocation, permitting and management of resources
- Ensure monitoring, control and surveillance of marine living resources
- Co-ordinate the Department’s participation in national, regional and international structures for the purpose of promoting and managing aquaculture and sustainable marine resources management as well as sector transformation
- Provide strategic direction and guidance with regards to the management of resources within the Branch.
Enquiries: Mr S. Ntombela, Tel. 012 319 7213.
CLOSING DATE: 30 JULY 2012
IT IS THE DEPARTMENT’S INTENTION TO PROMOTE EQUITY THROUGH THE FILLING OF ALL NUMERIC TARGETS AS CONTAINED IN THE EMPLOYMENT EQUITY PLAN. TO FACILITATE THIS PROCESS SUCCESSFULLY, AN INDICATION OF RACE, GENDER AND DISABILITY STATUS IS REQUIRED.
Applications must be submitted on form Z83, obtainable from any Public Service department or on the internet at www.gov.za/documents and should be accompanied by a recently updated, comprehensive CV as well as copies of all qualification(s), ID-document and valid Driver’s licence. Please take note that applications received after the closing date of the said advertisement will NOT be considered. Non-RSA Citizens / Permanent Resident Permit Holders must attach a certified copy of his / her Permanent Residence Permit to his / her application. Should you be in possession of a foreign qualification, it must be accompanied by an evaluation certificate from the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA).
Failure to submit all the requested documents will result in the application not being considered. Correspondence will be limited to short-listed candidates only. If you have not been contacted within three (3) months after the closing date of this advertisement, please accept that your application was unsuccessful. Suitable candidates will be subjected to a personnel suitability check (criminal record check, citizenship verification, financial / asset record check, qualification / study verification and previous employment verification). Successful candidates will be appointed on a probation period of twelve (12) months. The Department reserves the right not to make an appointment(s) to the above post(s). Shortlisted candidates who applied for posts on levels thirteen (13) and higher will be subjected to a competency assessment test.
Applications may be posted to URS Response Handling, P. O. Box 11506, Tierpoort, 0056 OR deposited in the URS Response Handling boxes at any one of the Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries’ offices indicated below:
- Gauteng: Reception, Agriculture Place, 20 Steve Biko Street (formerly Beatrix Street), Arcadia, Pretoria.
- Western Cape: Reception (Ground Floor), Martin Hammerschlag Way, Foreshore,Cape Town.
- Reception (Support Building), Quarantine Station,Polkadraai Road, Stellenbosch.
- KwaZulu-Natal: Reception (5th Floor), Old Mutual Building, 185 Longmarket Street, Pietermaritzburg.
- Eastern Cape: Reception (Ground Floor), Old SABC Building, No. 2 Hargreaves Avenue, King William’s Town.
- Mpumalanga: Reception (4th Floor), Prorom Building, Corner Brown and Paul Kruger Streets, Nelspruit.
- The Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries and Ultimate Recruitment Solutions (URS) will NOT accept liability for applications forwarded to any other address besides those indicated above.
- APPLICATION ENQUIRIES: URS Response Handling, Tel. 012 811 1900.