Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for the Scientist position that has become available in the Research Division of the KwaZulu-Natal Sharks Board (KZNSB) in Durban.
Minimum Requirement & Job Competences:
- A minimum of an M.Sc. and 10 years experience or a Ph.D. and 5 years experience in marine ecology or marine fisheries.
- A proven track record of publications as a senior author in peer-reviewed scientific journals.
- Experience in quantitative ecological/fisheries management techniques which could be applied to the KZNSB shark control fishery.
- Strong communication and inter-personal skills
- Ability to work both in a small team and independently
- Leadership and management skills
Main Duties (this is a brief summary and does not include all responsibilities assigned to the position):
- Undertake shark research and provide scientific support services as part of a small team.
- Monitor and analyse trends in catches in the KZN shark control (nets and drumlines) program.
- Evaluate measures to reduce such catches.
- Evaluate non-lethal methods of protection against shark attack.
- Develop an understanding of regional pressures on local shark populations to be able to provide expert advice on matters pertaining to shark management and conservation.
- Pursue other personal elasmobranch research interests
- Publicise and publish scientific findings.
- Report to the Head of the Research Division.
- Work closely with the KZNSB Operations and Tourism, Education and Marketing Divisions.
Interested candidates are requested to send detailed CV’s with traceable references for the attention: HEAD – Corporate Services by email to: email@example.com or fax to: 086 558 0537. No late applications will be considered. For ease of reference, please Quote Ref. No. in your correspondence.
Closing date for applications: 15h30 on Friday, 22 March 2013.
The appointment (chief scientist or senior scientist) will be determined by qualifications, experience and publication record. Correspondence will only be limited to shortlisted candidates. Should you not hear from us within 30 days after the closing date, please consider your application to have been unsuccessful.
Great white shark photo by Ian Lauder.