A woman died on Tuesday, apparently from inhaling insecticide after spraying for cockroaches in her Joburg inner-city flat and then closing the windows.
A man believed to be her partner was seriously ill in hospital on Tuesday night.
The couple lived in a flat in Lofts@66 on the corner of Smal and Pritchard streets.
According to a security guard, the couple sprayed insecticide in the flat before they went to bed on Monday night and closed the windows.
They were found unconscious by a cleaner at about 6am on Tuesday.
“He quickly alerted the caretaker. The caretaker phoned an ambulance,” said the security guard. “All we know is that they sprayed something in the flat.”
The woman was declared dead at the scene.
A spokeswoman at Charlotte Maxeke Johannesburg Academic Hospital said later on Tuesday that the man was “still not responding very well to treatment”.
She described the problem as “chemical inhalation” but had no further details.
Source: IOL News