- This event has passed.
Sustainable Consumption Workshop on Food Systems
August 11 @ 08:30 - August 12 @ 13:00
SAFCEI will hold a special Sustainable Consumption Workshop on Food Systems virtually over two mornings.
Faith leaders, NGOs representatives, researchers and practitioners will be presenting on current challenges in food production and consumption, and the impacts of industrial agriculture in Southern Africa.
The exciting line-up of speakers from diverse backgrounds includes:
- Rev. Emmanuel Chikoya (GS Council of Churches Zambia) – Day 1 Keynote speaker
- Vandana Shiva (Indian scholar, environmental activist, food sovereignty advocate, ecofeminist, and anti-globalization author) – Day 2 Keynote speaker TBC
- John Nzira (Ukuvuna Permaculture)
- Dr Tracy Ledger (Public Affairs Research Institute)
- Dr Million Belay (Alliance for Food Sovereignty in Africa)
- Stefanie Swanepoel (African Earth Rights)
- Bern Guri (Center for Indigenous Knowledge and Organisational Development)
By the end of the workshop participants will:
- Be informed about sustainable consumption, food systems and agroecological practices in Southern Africa.
- Be knowledgeable about strategies and practical examples of sustainable food production and consumption in Africa.
- Have tools for monitoring sustainable consumption and production of food in Southern Africa.
- Be aware of the impact of industrial food production on communities and the environment.
This is an invitation-only event. You are welcome to forward this invitation to others from your faith community or organisation that would be interested in this event.
Please confirm participation (and data requests) by 2 August 2021 via the Google Form.