The first inaugural Generation Earth Youth Summit on climate change will be taking place on 26 and 27 October at Thaba Ya Batswana in Johannesburg. After its launch earlier this year, Generation Earth Council have been started around the country by the youth, for the youth, with the youth.
With over 40 councils established nationwide, this is a call to action to the youth to participate in the greatest challenge our generation will face, climate change.
Let your voice be heard ahead of the COP 17 Climate Change negotiations in Kwa Zulu Natal. The Generation Earth Summit runs in partnership with the United Nations Environmental Programme (UNDP), Lead SA, Brand South Africa, Pick n Pay, Eskom as well as the Department of Basic Education. The outcome of the summit would be to engage with young green minds and allow a platform of discussion, open forum debate and interaction between leaders in the fields of water, energy, biodiversity and African climate change issues.
a youth statement
A youth statement and recommendations will be taken out of this summit and will be presented to the minster of environmental affairs, Edna Molewa. Plenary discussions will include speakers from SANEDI, Rand Water, Ogilvy Earth, Eskom, and the University of Johannesburg. Dr Anthony Turton will also address issues around acid mine drainage and how we are being affected in Johannesburg. Generation Earth ambassadors will also be present, some of these ambassadors include Edith Venter, Cito from Wonderboom, Jason Greer, Pabi Moloi, Terry Pheto and Loyiso Bala to name a few.
Generation Earth founder, Ella Bella, has just returned from the TUNZA International Children and Youth Conference ahead of the 2012 Rio +20 Earth Summit to be held in Brazil next June. Bella has worked tirelessly to create a platform for youth worldwide. In her third year as the United Nations Environmental programme Youth Ambassador, she was in Austria last month in preparation for the upcoming Generation Earth Summit. Limited seats are available, if you are in Grade 9, 10, 11 or a University student, log on to www.generationearth.co.za and fill out an application for to secure your place.
A community of young green minds changing the way we live, learn and use the world’s resources. Lead South Africa and play your part for a greener more sustainable future, be a part of Generation Earth.
- Green networking platform.
- From ‘youth to youth’
- Exchanging of green ideas
- Developing green thinkers
- Opportunity to broaden minds and assist in activating ideas
- Creating a generation of green, sustainable decision makers and consumers
- Green is Cool
- Carbon conscious consumers
- To Open a door to green business and an understanding of the Global Green
- To Exhibit and display environmental NGO’s working initiatives
- To Consolidate and expand the Generation Earth Council network
- To showcase Generation Earth Council’s activities with youth from across the country and continent
- Expose a youth market to NGO’s, corporates and GE councils in a space of green responsibility and sustainable living
- Workshops on Sustainability, Efficiency & Renewable Energy
- Debates & Open Forum Discussions
- Policy creation and Implementation strategy