In South Africa there is much to do to curtail littering, minimise waste and educate communities on how to live and practice the 3 R’s – reducing, re-using and recycling of waste.
Plastics|SA, in collaboration with others, is driving projects and programmes to do just that. One such project is the Cleanup and Recycle Competition which has been a highlight in the school timetable since 2006.
The strategic goal of the Cleanup & Recycle Competition is to raise awareness of litter in the environment in South Africa and encourage people to proactively make a difference. The competition aims to reach learners from grassroots level through to primary and high school levels. This year they have also added a special category for organisations and businesses wishing to enter. Waste minimization is a matter of national concern and now everyone can participate in this competition.
What you need to do
For Grad R to 1 learners, worksheets can be downloaded here. Older learners must tell the organisers about a CLEAN-UP or RECYCLING EVENT or both, that they have co-ordinated and monitored in their area.
They need to:
1. Organise or support an exciting CLEAN-UP and/or RECYCLING event at:
- A school or community
- A river or dam
- A beach cleanup
2. Draw up a marketing and action plan of their clean-up campaign
3. Involve fellow educators, learners, the community, municipality, business, media
4. Send a report on the clean-up campaign
- Report must be maximum 10 pages long
- Include photos (before/after/event)
- Information on who and how many participated (educators, learners, community)
If the RECYCLING Event is included, they need to also:
- Identify and list the different types of plastics collected for recycling (web)
- What type of new products could be manufactured from the different types of recycled plastics (web)
- Where possible, make contact with the local recyclables collector or recycler to support their Recycling Day.
Now business can participate too
Category 4 calls on companies to enter their recycling initiatives and stand a chance of winning a laptop for the company!
Click here to download the entry form.The closing date for entries is 30 September.
For more info, head over to