Food With A Story is an initiative that explores and positively communicates the artisanal and ethical food stories in South Africa through visual and written media via their website. The point is to raise consumer awareness around what we choose to eat and the impact of these choices (such as the ecological footprint of food products) and facilitate a relationship between consumers and producers. By raising awareness, FWAS hope to shift the choices people make, in turn encouraging more growers, manufacturers and suppliers to improve their ecological footprints. At a higher level, this supports food security in our country by supporting local food systems.
The Real Food Trip
As part of this initiative to connect South African consumers with the people who grow, manufacture and sell them their food, FWAS are undertaking a road trip – The Real Food Trip – across the country between February and April 2012. The outcomes of this trip will be:
- To profile on www.foodwithastory.co.za further farmers and producers of artisanal and ethical food in South Africa
- To develop connections with these people in order to create a network that facilitates knowledge sharing and support between them
- To obtain a better understanding of the issues faced by food producers, and what threatens food security in our country
- To obtain a better understanding of how everyday South African’s relate to food – across race, gender, and socio-economic standing
- To raise awareness about food security and sustainability
- To create a ‘real food trail’ around South Africa (tourism)
The group will be photographing and filming all the places that they visit and people they meet, and blogging about their experiences as they happen. People will be able to follow their trail through an interactive Google Map system which will be updated daily showing their travel route and experiences along the way (through photos, video, and the written word).
In the build up to the trip, FWAS will be running giveaways of amazing food products that have been sponsored by the producers and farmers they profiled during 2011. The main prize is an exciting hamper of products, including some food experiences, such as bread making and meals out worth R4000. Enter these competitions here. They are also fundraising through the crowd-funding site Indiegogo.com to help with their expenses including video and photographic equipment.
Bio of Food With A Story
Food With A Story was developed by Carlin and Deni Archer – two people passionate about food, in particular ethically and ‘care’-fully produced food. Deni is a writer (while living in NZ: NZ Herald columnist, GOOD Magazine, Ecobob.co.nz) and environmentalist with an environmental science degree, and an aspiring photographer. She has worked in the fields of environmental management and corporate sustainability for the past four years. Carlin is a social entrepreneur and web developer. He runs a successful eco-building web forum and directory in New Zealand, amongst other endeavours. (Deni is South African, Carlin is a New Zealander)