SAFCEI is a multi-faith organisation committed to increasing awareness, understanding and action-taking on environmental justice, sustainable living and climate change, by faith leaders and their communities throughout Southern Africa. They are seeking to appoint a dynamic young person, with excellent communication, networking and interpersonal skills and a passion for the environment, to join our vibrant team in mobilising young people on environmental issues.
SAFCEI’s Youth Ambassador will be tasked with growing a multi-faith youth network, empowering young people to use their voices in the call for eco-justice. S/he will liaise with like-minded organisations to influence change, and contribute to the faith community response to climate change, particularly in the lead-up to the climate talks at UNFCCC COP 21 in December 2015.
Key responsibilities include the following:
- Develop, with other staff, a creative approach to youth eco-justice initiatives;
- Build a network of young people active in faith communities on issues of eco-justice;
- Mobilise an appropriate youth response to creation care, including a focus on climate change adaptation, focusing on issues such as water, poverty, and biodiversity;
- Identify youth activists and mentor and capacitate the same to advocate on eco-justice issues at local, provincial and national level;
- Link SAFCEI’s youth work with the national and regional climate change advocacy campaigns;
- Facilitate events and activities, including workshops, in youth groups / eco-congregations (related to special environmental days) and capacitate youth to work with their faith communities and eco-congregations to organise events that build awareness of climate change, eco-justice, and sustainable living;
- Assist with the development of innovative and creative materials and tools to engage and empower youth;
- Through the eco-congregation and other faith networks, provide practical, community-oriented information on local adaptation and mitigation practices (and promote the need for a change in life-style and behaviour), in order to build resilient local communities;
- Actively promote SAFCEI’s position on eco-justice on various platforms;
- Engage with media at national and regional level, actively encouraging youth to raise their voices.
Desired Skills & Experience
- Self-driven young person of faith, with passion for environmental care.
- Strong communication, networking and interpersonal skills, to organise and work cooperatively and effectively with individuals and groups.
- Experience of environmental rights advocacy/social justice issues.
- Experience of designing and delivering programs (trainings, workshops, seminars, conferences, and campaigns) for youth and youth related issues.
- Commitment and basic understanding of climate change and the need for action.
- Proven working experience in youth empowerment, democratization and governance is highly desirable.
- Higher education qualification and/or appropriate experience preferred.
- Computer literate.
To apply, send a copy of your CV, with three contactable references, and a motivational letter, to email@example.com by 17th April 2015. Please highlight in the motivation letter how you meet the criteria for this role.
Due to high volumes of applications received, we are only able to correspond with shortlisted applicants.
- For more info about SAFCEI, click here.